Color plays a major role in the design of a website. It is the first thing that we see when we visit a website and it has an impact on how we feel about the design. The color schemes can be used to represent different moods or feelings which can be utilized to get your message across effectively.
There are many ways of deciding color schemes for your design. Some designers prefer to use their intuition while others go for more systematic approaches. In this article, I will talk about some of the most popular methods for selecting colors and choosing color schemes for a design.
You should use the following color scheme guidelines to help you decide what colors to use in your design.
Colors should be contrasting so that they are easily readable on the screen. If you want people to read your text, then it is important that the words are easy to read on the screen. The background colors should not be too bright or too dark because this will make reading difficult for people with certain eye problems like macular degeneration.
Colors can be categorized into three main groups:
- Primary colors are the ones that cannot be created by mixing other colors. They are red, blue, and yellow.
- Secondary colors are created when two primary colors are mixed together. They include orange, green, and purple.
- Tertiary colors are created when a primary color is mixed with a secondary color. They include red-orange, yellow-green, blue-purple, etc.
- Hue: The color of something, e.g. blue or red
- Chroma: Purity refers to the absence of all colors except white, black, or grey added to an object.
- Saturation: The brightness or darkness of a color.
- Value: how light or dark a color is
- Tone: hue created by mixing black and white
- Shade: created by adding black to a hue
- Tint: created by mixing a hue with white
Monochromatic Color Scheme
Monochromatic colors are colors on the same hue. A monochromatic color scheme is a design that uses different shades of one color. This means that all the colors will be different versions of the same hue, such as blue or red. Monochromatic color schemes are very popular for websites and logos because they help to create a feeling of simplicity and elegance in design.
Analogous Color Scheme
The analogous color scheme is a color scheme that uses three colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. These colors have a high level of similarity, but not quite enough to be considered the same hue.
The analogous color scheme is a popular choice for decorating because it provides a sense of unity and balance. This is because it uses colors from the same family, but also from different shades and tints within that family.
The analogous color scheme usually consists of three colors that are next to each other on the wheel, such as red, yellow, and orange.
Complementary Color Scheme
Complementary colors are opposite colors on the color wheel. They are opposite of each other because they have the maximum contrast. When two complementary colors are placed next to each other, they create a sense of visual tension.
The complementary color for a design is typically chosen to enhance the design or to draw attention to it. Complementary colors are colors which, when put together, create a high contrast. They are opposite to each other on the color wheel. This is often used in design layouts and logos. The complementary color scheme has a strong visual impact and creates a feeling of movement.
Triadic Color Scheme
Triadic colors are a mix of three colors that are evenly spaced on the color wheel. There are many different types of Triadic colors. You can find them by looking at the color wheel and finding three different colors that are equally spaced from each other.
The primary Triadic colors are blue, orange, and green. They can be used to create a variety of different styles, such as contemporary or traditional.
You can also use these three colors to create secondary Triadic colors by mixing them together in various ways. For example, you could combine blue with orange to create purple or combine blue with green to create turquoise.
Contrast color scheme
A contrast color scheme is a color scheme where the colors are opposite of each other on a color wheel.
A contrast color scheme can be used to create a more dramatic effect in your design. This is because the contrasting colors will stand out from one another even if they are not very different in terms of lightness or saturation.
If you want to use a contrast color scheme, you should make sure that the colors you choose have enough contrast with each other. You can do this by choosing two colors that are opposite of each other on the color wheel or two colors which are very different in terms of lightness and saturation.
Harmonic Color Schemes
Color is a powerful tool for designers. Color can be used to evoke emotions, create moods, and emphasize certain points.
Color theory is the study of how colors interact with one another. It is an important part of design because it helps to create harmony and unity in the design. Color theory also helps designers to understand how colors relate to one another so that they can use them in a way that will not clash or look jarring together. For example, if you are designing a website with green text on a blue background, you might want to consider what colors you would use for the other elements on the page so that they don’t clash or look jarring together.
Best websites to select color scheme for design
The top 5 best websites to select color schemes for design.
1. ColourLovers: This website has a large community of people who are passionate about colors and they share their color schemes with each other.
2. Adobe Kuler: This website lets you choose from a variety of themes and palettes to find the perfect one for your project.
3. Coolors: This website has a modern interface that makes it easy to find the perfect color scheme for your project.
4. Color Scheme Designer: This website lets you create your own custom color scheme by choosing colors from any image on the web or uploading your own image to use as a palette.
5. Paletton: Select from over 150 different patterns and hues.